Thursday, February 5, 2009

Well check

Yesterday Rhyan had her three-year well check. She's 35lbs and 39 1/4 inches (85% for weight, 91st for height). I spoke to Dr. Bartlett about the possibility that she has asthma - constant coughing, wheezing, etc. She has also had a runny nose for well over a month now. Dr. Bartlett spent most of the appt listening to her chest. In addition to the possible asthma, Rhyan has also had a heart murmur since birth. He could hear some rattling sounds and the slight wheezing. He felt it could possibly be a lingering cold or allergies. He gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin (which my sister wisely told me to watch for any allergic reactions, since I'm allergic to Penicillin); if the rx doesn't work, Dr. Bartlett recommended trying Benadryl for allergies. If after all that, she's still coughing regularly our next step would be Allbuterol. I gave the first dose of Amoxicllin this morning - it was like trying to medicate a wild cat.

Well, stupid me made a huge mistake and told Rhyan she wouldn't need a shot. She had a flu shot a couple months ago and hasn't forgotten it. Ok, so it's not my fault: when Hunter was younger they gave more shots at once (which sorry, but I prefer to torture them all at once and not draw it out!) so after he turned 2 he didn't get more shots until before he started Kindergarten. So, now I'm sitting in the office having to prep Rhyan for one shot. I'm bribing her telling her that if she's really good, I'll take her to Starbucks for a chocolate milk. Ok, so I use Starbucks because mommy could really use a coffee after all the dramatics of my three-year-old, but whatever. The good thing is, Rhyan was pretty drowsy yesterday afternoon from the bawling (and the vaccine) and took a nice long nap!

2 comments:

  1. So, did you get your coffee anyway?
    And that wild cat reference made me laugh - I can totally picture it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I still got my coffee! Now we that we have to give her the Amoxicillin twice a day...ugh! It's like giving it to a demonic cat! Screaming, claws scratching, everything.

    ReplyDelete